Epic 30k Horus Heresy: Space Marine Forward Operating Base (FOB)

Its been a long minute since I last posted. I've not painted anything for Epic in quite a long time. I finished Uni during lockdown, left one job and started another (and been there over a year now!) and hurt my eye for which I am now waiting on an operation (which is delayed due to the huge backlog at the hospitals, again due to the lockdowns). Its been a long, tough couple of years! And thus, why I've not been able to paint anything for Epic!

I've managed to moderate my eye issue, at least enough to be able to work on some of my larger scale hobby projects (Like building terrain for Necromunda and buying up every miniature ever for wargaming in Middle Earth!) but I just haven't been able to do anything small scale or paint! I'm hoping that I can get back to it soon- because not painting hasn't meant not buying! I've been stocking up on more and more Epic minis and managed to snag some good ebay deals, brought some of the newer offerings from vanguard and stocked up on some more metal casts from onslaught (due to their last update was that they were moving over to 3d printed troops)

I brought all the sets for the Vanguard Miniatures 3d printed Forward operating base. The main base comes with all the walls, gateways and walkways and I also brought the extra bunker and additional weapon

 Forward Operating Base (FOB)

 Forward Operating Base (FOB) with Bunker & Dish add-on


This is the first proper 3d printed model I've ever brought and the quality is pretty impressive. A little bit of work will be needed to get a better fit of the parts- mostly on the two gates, they need a little bit taken off the edge to fit in the gateway properly and the bunker roof is a little too snug. But almost all the support connection points are completely gone, and there are just one or two that need a bit of sanding to get a smooth base- though the supports were all hidden on the bottom of the wall sections.

The walls are designed to take magnets and are nicely marked up already to easily get them done so. But I'm probably just going to build the model into one, possible two sections at most as I don't want the hassle of rebuilding the kit for each game. Really, there is really only one or two configurations that work without buying multiple wall kits and so I don't feel the need to magnetise.

Adding the bunker does leave you with 3 wall sections left over though. I did toy with the idea of magnetising a single section of the base and turning the three left over walls into 'battle damaged' sections, but honestly I have enough to build and paint as it is and that kind of additional work will just delay me ever getting this on to the tabletop! The three extra walls are a little wasteful, however I'd not expect a discounted set for buying the bunker add-on with the walls as the profit margin for vanguard must already be pretty slim on this set (As I believe he is out sourcing his physical 3d printed models!) and the total wasn't really that expensive for all three parts. I'm likely to pop the spare walls into storage and if we see any new add-ons for this kit in the future, I'd likely buy another and consider buying and magnetising another to have one for new add-ons! 

Sizewise the kit is an impressive structure compared to a lot of standard looking Epic 40k buildings/6mm terrain, but its not so large as to totally dominate most standard gaming tables.

The kit comes with the additional metal turret parts needed to finish off the outside of the walls. These are a really nice touch that you'd not get with buying from 3d printer outlets. 

The kit is what I would describe as 'Gothic Neutral', meaning that there is nothing in the design that forces it to be a proxy kit for something in the 40k universe and nothing else. It would definitely fit in with most generic sci-fi universes/genres.

Overall I'm pretty happy with the kit! It looks great and far better than I can scratch build myself but there is enough blank space on the kit to let me add some of my own detailing to customise and personalise the base to match the rest of my terrain!


Comments