Epic 40,000 Ork Horde: Painting

I thought I make a start on painting some of the infantry, even if only to get a rough Idea of how I like them to be. Only trouble is I'm having terrible trouble with painting them. I know I'm terribly out of practice with painting, especially at 6mm scale. I have painted a couple of stands of terminators that turned out awful and a handful of random ork minis recently and that's it. I seem to be getting very chalky or very streaky paint, even though I use the standard practice of watering down paint, Ive even taken to using vallejo medium thinner (which was a godsend for my very gooey pot of goblin green!)



I have painted a handful of 28mm goblins since I restarted in the hobby and though not the greatest painted, they at least came out with smooth coats.

But I have tried to get a nice, streak free and smooth coat of either reds, or yellow and its really starting to get me down. 

It is most noticeable on the cannon at the back. The light and dark lines in the yellow are not highlights, but lumps.

I used black undercoat> tinny tin base > dheneb stone on all parts that were to be yellow (very very thin coat)> Gold brown (vallejos close to match for darksun)> Flat yellow> very light edgeing with golden yellow>home made yellow glaze (which is just flat yellow Mixed with slightly more Medium+ water)

These are the badab ones with the glossy skin! I gave up on these as I hated them so much and so they never got to the glaze stage!

I have been looking up painting guides, Watching videos and searching all the old incoming! ezines, and copy every piece of advice (which is normally water paints down, thin layers!) and I just don't seem to be getting it right at this scale!

I'm thinking that maybe an idea to switch to grey primer, but Ive seen many decent looking orks from black primers and so think it might just be me!
Maybe I wasn't made to paint! :'(

Comments